Saturday, August 2, 2014

Cancer and walking through the days

             


               There is little doubt in my mind that I would not care to walk in someone else’s shoes.  Some shoes are too tight, therefore not for me.  I don’t care to have bunions, thank you very much.  Too high, at my age everything is too high as I sometimes struggle with my sense of balance which seems at times to have gone on vacation.   After her latest injury, my cousin posted on Facebook that she felt that she should never leave the house without a helmet and bubble wrap.  I think that sometimes we all feel as though we should live in a bubble complete with lots of  bubble wrap. It would keep us from sharing what happens around us so that someone's shoes don't become ours.
                Take the young mother with a brand new baby and a young child. She was diagnosed with cervical cancer. She stated one day that she was tired of being strong all the time but that she was also tired of crying as well.

Act I. Scene I:
They almost lost her on a Monday morning after surgery number one with four liters of life leaving her veins before she was taken into surgery again to stop the flow of her life drifting out.
After in a conversation to me, she said.”I thought I was going to die.” 

Act II, Scene I:
She joked about not having to shave her legs if she has chemo as we were talking about why she was wearing dresses every day to work.  It hurts too much for her to wear anything else due to her incision.  Her laugh was short, “Of course, all of my hair will fall out as well.” There was a moment of silence broken by the showing of my hairless legs due to my genetics. I don’t shave I pluck the seven or so hairs yearly. I wish I could say the same about my chin.

                Shoes can hide a lot of faults under the pretty, the comfortable, the cheap or expensive but they can’t hide a broken heart when you find out that the demon is still there.  So what remains? There is hope, prayers and dreams of a future.  It is all I have left for this friend who has captured our hearts while we weep with her cradling our hope, sharing our love.  




No comments:

Post a Comment