Saturday, April 4, 2020


This is the first of my small essays



Our Conversation

While crawling out of the tub this morning, my toes and feet started a small but serious conversation with the scale in the bathroom. It went sort of like this.

“You really should consider it.” The scale voiced encouragingly.

“The pants fit just fine, thank you.” A rather sarcastic comment from the thighs and butt.

“Wait,” the toes speaking sharply, “Conversation is with me.”

“Ah,” a chirp from the feet, “I was included in this. After all, we will be standing there.”

A comment from high above, the head and brain, “Well, we will be the ones getting us there.”

“Says who,” just another complaint from the thighs with butt being silent.

In exasperation, somehow it happened. I was on the scale.

“Now,” said the scale somewhat smugly, ”that wasn’t so bad, was it?”

With everything going on in the world, do I need to worry about a few pounds added to my already gorgeous body?  Hell, yes.  I am thinking of my pants, and other clothes made wherever, plus my growing paranoia about touching things in the stores. Things just might be hard to find.  Now might be the time to really consider fitting into the other pants hanging in my closet for the last 10 or more years.

It really is a zipper problem. Zippers need to be able to expand on their own to accommodate the bulging tummy. I struggle after every washing of my black jeans which seem to give it up after a couple of hours of wearing, regrouping about my middle to a comfortable state.

I could be like one of my nurses who stated “It has come to this. I am wearing my sweats.”  But I don’t own sweats.  Hmm, maybe part of the problem of the bulging tummy?

Thankfully, all of my nurses and I work in a locked door clinic.

We are lucky.  I am lucky.  I didn’t realize the extent of how the open door bothered me until one of the supervisors brought up a sign stating the doors would remain locked until further notice.  I cried. Together we hung up the sign.

I am still going to work.  I am thankful about that as well. I just wish my next size pants weren’t several pounds away.

2 comments:

  1. I know we are all feeling this way !
    Yuck ! On THAT Note -- I LOVE My soft,warm, STRETCHY Yoga Pants.😉.

    ReplyDelete