Sunday, April 19, 2020

Not by the Hair of my Chinny-Chin-Chin





Not by the Hair of my Chinny-Chin-Chin

Since I have started to wear a mask daily at work, I am letting my chin hairs grow.  I am a woman in her sixties so it is quite natural to find a sprouting offender where nothing was the day before. Depending on the speed they grow will determine if I need a curling iron or just a couple of bobby pins like the ones my mother used to curl her hair
.
Or maybe a braid like I have seen on a few men with long beards.  Somehow, I doubt I will ever get enough chin hairs to warrant a braid.  Though my skills at braiding are quite adept.  But then again if I let my chin hairs grow will my mask fit?

The man, my husband has shaved off his beard so his mask will fit better. I had been having him wash his face each night after coming home from work despite the fact he was wearing a mask in and out of his office.  Sigh, a fresh beard that I can’t snuggle next to.

I washed two of our masks last night.  I might have been a bit over cautious.  I boiled water in a saucepan, let it cool a bit and added soap.  I placed each mask in carefully at the end of tongs and whisked the masks about in the steaming water.  I let them sit in the hot water before the man rinsed them for me. We placed them on a towel to dry.  Good fabric—no shrinkage, no bleeding of colors.  My friends who made the masks really know their stuff.

One of my friends made some more masks with the hopes that hair ties would be a good substitute for elastic, she had run out. I was going to send some masks to our son.  I am glad I tried one on.  Ouch, unfortunately, the hair tie is too thin and cuts into the back of my ear.

I search my closet and found some more elastic, there is enough for half of the masks she made me.  The rest of the masks will have to do with the elastic straps from some of my bras.  Bright pink and a nice chocolate brown.  I could not part with my purple bra so the straps stayed.  We will see what my creative friend can do.

I toyed with the idea of fixing my new straps on the mask myself but remembering the conversation I had with my friend who declared she was having problems figuring out what to do, I decided to give her the joy of ripping out seams and attaching the elastic.  She is retired and really stuck at home.

Since the writing of the above paragraph about hair ties, I have received a gift of fabulous crocheted extenders.  You loop the hair ties or elastic over a button so you have nothing over your ears, I am in love. The bra straps are going back on the bras.
    
(I lasted a week on growing my chin hairs.  I plucked the six quarter-inch little devils this afternoon as my husband was not very supportive of the idea of letting them grow.  Oh, he didn’t care about them growing but it wasn’t a project he had interest in.)

Each day brings a new reality.  A new moment of wow, is this really happening?  But I am grateful. It is the only thing I can be.  “Walk as if you are kissing the Earth with your feet.” ― Thich Nhat Hanh


2 comments:

  1. Love this and made me Laugh outloud ! Thank you for sharing your mask adventures ! 😉💋

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love This !!
    TOOOOO FUNNY !!

    ReplyDelete