Sunday, December 29, 2019



Spider-zilla and Melting Chilies

I am always thankful I wake up in the morning with all of my parts working.  Part of my aging is dry eye for which I have eye drops which sometimes make it into my eyes instead running down my cheeks from the near misses of self-application.  I put my eye drops in before crawling out of bed, struggling to get my eyes open for the procedure.  Dry eyes stink, it is difficult to open them whenever I wake up in the night to head to the bathroom. Always afraid I will stub my toes in the dark, I reach for the eye drops whenever my eyelids are refusing to move over my eyes. I have a bronze cast touch lamp sitting on the desk by the bed which makes it easy to turn on with minor groping about.  This morning was a typical morning, I had heard my husband at the microwave heating tea water, soft murmuring coming from the television. It was time to maneuver my little body from the deep warmth and comfort of my bed.

Stage one:  Turn on lamp.

Stage two:  Reach for eye drops.

Stage three:  Convince eyes opening is a good idea.

Stage four:  It is a good day. Drops manage to hit eye balls, well, nearly.

Off to the bathroom, we go.  Safely sitting, doing the thing of letting the river flow to the ocean. I yelled for my husband.  Even without my glasses, or the light on, I could see the dark, black, many legged, and fuzzy spider just resting on the inside of the tub. I remember my son coming out of the bathroom many, many years ago, picking up the big, black cat Puck.  Our son stated, “Time for the big guns.” I followed to watch him place Puck in the bathtub. The cat ignored the still spider, leaping out leaving us to deal with the monster in the tub. My smaller Siamese mixed female cat was the bug, fly, and spider catcher and she was soundly sleeping.

This morning ended up being a two person’s job. My husband’s comment when he saw the spider was, “Oh, Shit.” I asked him to wait until I got dressed so I could help.

I got dressed so I could open doors and to helped the man in whatever way I could.  There was some scrambling around as my husband searched for something more substantial to place under the envelope which was keeping the spider secured in the glass jar. He found a CD encased in its cover, slipped it under the envelope.  I ran to the door, opening it wide, got his outdoor shoes ready for him to slip his feet in. As he tread carefully, balancing jar, spider and paper envelope with the CD, he got his shoes on and asked me to get a flashlight so we could watch the spider make his getaway. Fortunately, it wasn’t raining as we tramped out to the bottom of the driveway and beyond.  Another spider released into the wild.

It is interesting how my mind works.  As the man and I were heading out to the grocery store, he mentioned the chilies were melting quite nicely and he had put them in the frig to continuing thawing.  Suddenly to my mind came the image of hot red chili peppers on the counter melting into puddles of color. I comment to my husband of the fun image.  He thought I should blog about it.  Well, it got me thinking about blogging.  I haven’t for quite some time. I can’t give a reason. I haven’t written anything. No poetry, prose, essays, stories.  It was like the faucet had been turned off.  I can’t say I am inspired to write nor can I say I will write.
 
I think it is like many things.  Why bother?  What do I have to say that hasn’t been said before?  Why do you get out of bed in the morning?  I know why I do.  I can’t stand to be there any more despite the comfort of it.  I want to get up, take a walk.  Why? My body, soul and spirit long for it. I enjoy the warmth of a hot cup of tea.  I like gazing at my husband across the room. I like the feel of his arms about me.  I am lucky.

So maybe just maybe someone will read this and be taken away from whatever moment they are in to a different one. I am working on living in the present.  I stop myself from doing whatever and say to myself, “This moment is perfect.  I am thankful.” Perhaps that is all I can do. Live in the moment. My future is now and it is glorious except for the Spider-zilla and melting chilies on a counter. I should add flowers.


No comments:

Post a Comment