Sunday, October 26, 2014

Four Crones with a Hat Looking for Shoes





Four Crones with a Hat Looking for Shoes


          It could have been a dark and stormy night because it was what most folks might imagine when talking about crones, ghosts, witches and the extraordinary creatures that were mucking about after a glorious multicolored sunset on a short fall day. But it wasn’t.  Instead it was quiet, a nice and better than average night with the temperature cool but not cold and just a hint of a mild breeze.  It was perfect. Until you started listening in on a conversation that had just started which went something like this, “All that I am saying is that I feel that if you are the oldest, you should get to wear it longer,” this was said by a thin and reedy voice.
          A slightly younger voice piped in, “If we did that, the rest of us would be waiting until next week for a turn.”
          “I think that it should be based on how long your season is lasting,“ ventured  a bright cheerful voice.
          A voice that flowed like a sweet fresh breeze answered back, “That would hardly be fair as it varies so much from year to year.”
          The conversation would be enough to draw out a curious passerby to see just who was talking except this was All Hallows Eve and most sensible individuals would be home in front of roaring fire with all the doors and windows locked after checking to make sure that there was a good quantity of salt, garlic, wolf bane, and of course a good book of prayers just in case you forgot yours when you were about to be eaten.
          But if you were a foolhardy soul, you would see four figures sitting in a circle in a small clearing of trees.  The oldest one was currently tugging on the brim of an old black hat that was still somewhat pointy.  The hat was working itself off of the old woman’s head as if it had somewhere else to go for a hot cup of tea and a fresh scone.
          Another woman not quite the age of the first sat on a fallen log with its rough bark still attached to the trunk, she was dressed in the brilliant hues of fall, warm golden yellows, deep reds, cheerful oranges with a hint of fading green. Her head was bare and streaks of white ran in her hair of red.
          The third was slightly plump lady with a rainbow of colors surrounding her body.  She chewed absentmindedly upon what seemed to be a tasty fruit of some kind that was only identifiable by taking a bite, rolling in your mouth and humming loudly to grab the flavor before it walked out pass your teeth.
          The last figure was that of a young woman dressed in various light hues of greens, she seemed to be younger than the group that she was with. She wiggled her bare toes in the fallen leaves making them rustle softly and then louder. She was getting quite bored, longing to go somewhere to take a very long, long nap say until Spring time.  
          “Well, back to business, there is the matter of the shoes.  I say that we skip the barefoot tradition that both Spring and Summer have been following and find them some shoes.” This comment came from the woman dressed in the warm, cheerful colors as she gazed down at her sharply colored boots of red.
          “We have only tonight to shop before we fade from each other’s view.” This was grumbled by the oldest of the group.  She had continued to fight with the hat until finally she took it off of her head ,wagged her finger at it, scowling at it with an evil intent and then putting the hat firmly back on her head.  Needless to say, the hat seemed to have an decided air of contrition at this small battle, it gave a little shudder, resigning itself to sitting on the old woman’s head at which it then started to squeeze carefully about her head to complete a snug fit.
          “That is fair enough,” the other two agreed.
          “Give back the hat to Fall,” stated the one called Summer to the old woman.
          Winter thought to herself, it was just starting to fit but she reluctantly handed over the hat to Fall but not before suggesting that since they were shoe shopping that perhaps hats for all would be a good idea.

         
          I am a firm believer that if you want new shoes that you should get them but when I was faced with buying some new boots that might be waterproof, I hesitated.  I balked at the idea of getting them because the ones that I found were not just quite right.  I did buy them, I took them home and then the very next day, I returned them.  They just were not what I was looking for.  
          When I was just waking up the next day as I enjoyed the warmth of my bed, the feel of the sheets against my skin, I thought about the rainy weather that had finally arrived back here on the Oregon coast and I was not without regrets that I had thrown away a pair of very comfortable shoes that I had loved to death.  I had worn them out as I discovered when one of my feet was still very damp after a day in the shoes.  Shoes that had run out into the flooded parking lots, navigated around large puddles of water while we were out doing a public flu clinic. When I had went for a short walk with one of the nurses on a break to see the ocean between storms, my little foot got very wet. It was worth it as the ocean was tossing and churning and hitting the shoreline with great force throwing up foam to rest on the sand. 
          After I had gotten home, had taken off the old dogs, I was able to inspect the bottoms to find out that I now had holes in the soles that had allowed the water to leak in. I handed them to my husband and told him to throw them away.  Really, in our weather here on the coast in winter, what good is a pair of shoes that won’t keep the water out and your feet from becoming damp and wet while wearing them. 
          The good news that in the dark of the night when restless spirits can’t sleep I remembered that I had some good rubber boots sitting in the laundry room that just might be the ticket for dry feet after I checked them for spiders.  Once I was sure that no one had taken up residence in the boots, I tugged then on and out the door I went.  It did not rain all day.  Well, so much for that idea.  I am quite sure that I will have a great need for the boots in the days to come.  I, already have a plastic bag for my other shoes in which to carry them in order to have some shoes to wear in the office besides the boots.  I have given up on my hats and have taken to wearing my hood in the very blustery days of wind and rain that we are having but if I run across four crones with a hat looking for shoes, I might just give them this advice.  No matter how short the time that you think you might have, it is best not to settle for second best.

          Meanwhile, the four women in the woods were gazing at each other as they were now wearing the exact same black shade of clothing on their figures. Spring looked at the others and asked, “Now, can you tell me just why we are wearing these drab outfits and why my hair is stringy and black?”
          “It is called blending, dear,” answered Fall who was straightening her gown when attempting to balance the black hat on her head. “Everyone is dressing up and it just would not do to draw attention to ourselves not if you plan on getting a good bargain on the shoes and it is always about good shopping.”
          “Well, I don’t know why Spring is even included in our group,” complained Winter.  “She doesn’t really qualify as a crone at all, always giving birth, allowing new life to grow.  Summer is barely a crone with her fruiting, her ripening of the fields. Fall is barely a crone of sorts and well, that leaves me nearly all alone and hatless.” Winter glared at Fall as she worked on getting the black hat settled on her head with less difficulty than Winter had had.  
          “LADIES, ladies, “The woman called Summer raised her voice to gain attention. “Let’s go shopping.”

          Here is to shopping with friends who might disagree with some of the things we do but are still willing to shop especially for shoes.  Happy All Hallows Eve.

 
         
         





          

1 comment: