Friday, February 3, 2023

Reflections of Light

 


Reflections of Light

 

Sometimes we are reminded of the light of the world when we see it shining in front of us. I live in Oregon where most of our days during a normal year is overcast if not rainy. So, it is a really a delight to experience the light of the sun streaming in the windows illuminating the carpet on the floor, showing the dust on bookcases, bits of lint and what-not on various surfaces untouched and forgotten by a cleaning rag or the swoosh of the vacuum. 

It was one such day this January when I walked into the kitchen to find bands of light on my kitchen cupboards. I was transfixed. I stood unmoving, not breathing for fear of it disappearing before I grasped all its beauty and warmth. It bought to the front of my mind other days of light and sunshine and I sank into the moment being present. I did not worry about outside the kitchen, outside my door, in the neighborhood, across the bridge, the ocean or anywhere. A bit of the light hit my back and though I couldn’t see the light I felt its gentle warmth. A slightly surprised warmth being drawn from millions of miles to me at this moment lingering without an agenda as if it was saying, “So there you are.”

It is hard in this present day world to find a light, a purpose with so much being thrown in the thought cloud of the world. Thought cloud, I like that. I try and adjust my thought cloud on a day-to-day basis. I work on the little thoughts. Letting them come and go until I find something I like or think I like. It is hard to tell sometimes. Particularly, when so many of the thoughts are twirling and whirling about. They are restless, some are lonely, others passionate with some screaming to be heard. I try to let them settle, to find a safe corner, a high pinnacle, to hide until they are ready. 

The important thing for me is to let them, my wayward thoughts know they are loved, the experiences we shared are all good as we have survived, we exist and just like the light on cupboards we have our moments in the sun and it is glorious.

No comments:

Post a Comment