Sunday, July 14, 2019

Competition





My husband and I are very competitive with each other in small ways.  It isn’t to the extreme in we get into drag down fights or hurt feelings.  More of a supportive thing. Our latest was the preparation for our blood work before seeing our doctor during an annual visit. The man decided he really needed to work on what he was eating and doing in order to make sure his cholesterol levels were better.  He tackled the problem with things he knew.  Less cheese, mainly. More of his flax cereals, eating lots of beans (not really a hardship as he likes my method of cooking them). As for red meats, pork, well, these food groups really don’t make it through the door in our mainly vegetarian household. Instead, chicken, seafood are part of our menu surrounded by various cooked and raw vegetables.  The result was a good report on his cholesterol levels when he visited his doctor. I must mention my husband is not over weight which also is a factor in his overall health. Sigh, he looks good, really good.

After his visit, I was spurred to action as I have just passed the 65 year marker in May of this year. After a really nasty bit of illness, I had lost some weight and still I have managed to keep it off.  I realize with my weight slowly going down I had not really addressed the cholesterol level, I will share it with you.  It was over 200 last year. I looked at my cheese and eggs levels.  I started cutting back.  I made sure a whole grain cereal with flax seed was added daily with lots of fruit (banana, blueberries and raspberries). I love summer. I started making sure my pinto beans, garbanzo, etc. intake was daily. I went back to my big cup of hot lemon water with turmeric, ginger and a hint of cayenne pepper as part of my daily intake. I continued with walking daily, worked on stretching muscles, thinking and meditating happy thoughts. Though I did not reach a certain weight goal before the bloodwork, I was hopefully to be a few points below my previous year’s cholesterol, maybe at 200.  Remember I was over 200. Prayers at this stage might be a bit too late as the blood sucker had drawn out the necessary amount for testing. Vampires are real.

I had a week to wait. I woke up early as usual on the day of my doctor appointment only to find a coworker was sick so I dashed to work briefly before going to my doctor.  I was hoping my blood pressure hadn’t climbed with the early morning rush. I worried unnecessarily.  Blood pressure, perfect according to the nurse at the doctor’s office.  It was a waiting game.  Finally, doctor came in, asked all the routine questions. I asked about my cholesterol levels.  He told me. My heart stopped. “What was it? I asked again. He said, “174”.  I told him how thankful I was and how I had been working at modifying my diet.  He mentioned that sugar was also a factor. Crap, I thought. I had fond memories of my husband’s peanut butter cookies.

Well, I am not finished with my home improvements (my body). After all, I am gauging the housing is going to have to last at least possibly another 35 years? The outside is a little bit lacking in some respects but overall, not too bad.  I have heard on the news I should decrease my calories in order to be healthier. It probably will work on lowering the cholesterol as well. I have various pants in my closet which I haven’t worn for years. Some of which might be out of style? It would be nice not to just try and cram just my legs into them. Skinny legs leading up to a slight jelly roll. I’m not really sure of the flavor of the jelly roll, perhaps, a combination of berries?

I have started a new project.  Besides, Buddhism, I have decided to look into Wiccan practices. Oh, I know if few of you who know me often tell me to “Do your stuff.” Whenever, something big is happening in your lives causing worries.  Just so you know, I can offer prayers, ask for guidance in your life as I ask for guidance in my own but ultimately, the great power of the universe, God and Goddess is where you are headed. You are connected just as I am.  I have always been connected with the universe. I just acknowledge it more. Believe, accept and know the information is yours for the asking.  It is just too bad about the cookies, though.  I did ask for guidance.


1 comment:

  1. Perhaps just one cookie? How refreshing. I enjoyed a nice peak into your daily work to stay healthy with a sprinkling of husband love and spirituality thrown in. Thank you .

    ReplyDelete