Sunday, September 21, 2014

Mystery in the Garden and in the Life of a Wandering Soul




Mystery in the Garden and in the Life of a Wandering Soul


The world is filled with mystery.  Sometimes it presents itself in the simplicity of an unknown plant growing in a pot with the plants that were planted.  Take for example, my pots of potatoes were expected to grow potatoes as I prepared the soil, fertilized, and placed in the deep rich soil carefully a potato that had sprouted in the cupboard.  I knew that one pot would grow the purple potatoes that the purple potato had been planted in, the red potatoes would have red potatoes hiding deep in the soil and the tan potato would hopefully produce tan replicas in due time.  But as in life, everything is not pure and when you use rich compost that has been cooking for years it is not too surprising that something that had been dormant would start to grow once it was given a chance just like our minds when planted with the right thoughts start giving us the opportunity to do pretty well and grow as we travel through our life. 

In our case, one day we discovered a mystery plant growing in a pot with the potatoes.  We were excited and quickly prepared another pot for the intruder once my husband and I decided that the plant was not a weed.  It survived the transplanting. Soon the two of us were heading out the door in the early morning to gaze in the new light of day to see what the plant had done.  “Is it growing?  Do you see any flowers? I think it is a cucumber or a squash.” I declared to my husband that it needed to be watered morning, noon and night just like the potatoes then we hovered like new parents by the newly growing green plant that was reaching out its ever growing vines out of its black pot onto the concrete porch. Fortunately, we had other things to occupy our time so we did not camp out by the plant taping the sounds of its growing, and measuring the one quarter inch of growth or more in a day. Life is always just too busy to really enjoy listening to the world around us.

While I wait for the mystery plant to show me what it is besides being green with small yellow flowers that are attracting the honey bees, I am working on rediscovering myself.  Somewhere along the way, I lost most of my optimism, confidence, and joy in living to be saddled with fears.  Not necessary my own but I do tend to grab onto the emotions and woes of others just entirely too much.  So how do you regain the lost, the unseen, the intangible feeling of well being that comes naturally to us when we are newly arrived on this plane of existence.  I don’t have a ready answer, I am struggling every day but I think that I am gaining on the answers for myself.  I am working on kicking those unwanted thoughts out the back door of my mind.  I am reverting to the young woman that I was who read daily uplifting affirmations, adhering to daily prayers of gratitude for what I have been given and looking more closely at the great joys that I have in my life.  I told a friend the other day that I had found my happy thought.  She looked at me with puzzlement on her face.  I asked her if she had ever seen “Peter Pan” with Robin Williams when she said yes then I told her that she was my happy thought. For that moment, for that day, she was my happy thought.

Perhaps, the God or Goddess, the Great Spirit, the Divine Mother and Holy Spirit have been listening or just perhaps I am paying attention more closely. Because I am unwinding the tension in my body or trying to by remembering that I am a spirit in a body experiencing the moment.  Today was a good day because our minister reminded us that the news media like to push bad news because it sells copy. But we can focus on the positive instead of the negative. It is our choice. 

The mystery that is in my garden and in my life as a wandering soul has a common theme of unfolding into something grand.  Meanwhile, I am in need of gathering more of the mystery of the glorious things to help the flowering, fruiting of myself as I wait for the final harvest.

Regarding the mystery plant, tonight, my husband declared, “I know it is not a lemon cucumber, it is too big.” The mystery is still in the garden.





  




1 comment:

  1. Yes! You have to choose to be happy, and you are my happy thought Joyce! Excellent blog post!
    I think it's safe to say it's a squash....but it does look like a melon too...

    ReplyDelete